Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?

The best way to make an appointment is through the online calendar which can be found at under Request Appointment. You can also call us at 201.266.0025.

Do you only service clients who live/work/own businesses in Hoboken?

No, Hoboken is just where our main office is located. We are licensed by the federal government to represent clients for tax return filings and tax representation in all 50 states.

Does my spouse have to attend the appointment?

Your spouse does not have to attend the appointment. We do recommend that you ensure that you have sent us all pertinent tax documents ahead of time for both you and your spouse.

What do you charge?

Every tax return is unique, so we base our rate on the complexity of your tax return. We typically will share a price range based on the initial information you share with us. Examples where pricing may be adjusted includes not disclosing items like rental income, stock/bond accounts, …..???

Do you have onsite parking?

Street parking is available near the office.

How far are you from the train or path station?

We are a short walk (about 5 minutes) from the NJ Path station.

How do I send you my documents?

Each client is sent a secure client portal. You can upload all of your tax documents into the Sharefile document system for easy and safe management. If you are not comfortable with online management, you can bring your forms in person to the appointment.

What else do you need to prepare my tax documents?

We encourage you to complete the 2019 Tax organizer we will send you electronically. It will give us a comprehensive overview of your tax situation so that we can optimize your return and assist with tax planning for future years.

We will also have you sign an engagement letter indicating that you authorize us to file taxes on your behalf.

I noticed that you are an Enrolled Agent. What is that?

An Enrolled agent (or EA) is a tax advisor who is a federally authorized tax practitioner empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Enrolled agents represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues including audits, collections and appeals.

What is the difference between an enrolled agent and a CPA?

An enrolled agent is a tax practitioner who is licensed at the federal level by the Internal Revenue Service. In fact, enrolled agent status is the highest credential awarded by the IRS. On the other hand, certified public accountants are licensed by their applicable state boards of accountancy.

What services do you offer:

We offer tax preparation and filing, tax representation, and tax planning services for individuals and businesses. We also offer audit protection plans, IRS monitoring plans, ID Theft coverage and receipt management (through Receipt Bank).

For businesses, we offer accounting, bookeeping, and payroll services.

What services do you offer:

  • Tax Preparation
  • Tax Planning
  • Tax Representation
  • Audit Protection Plans
  • IRS Monitoring Plans
  • ID Theft Coverage
  • Receipt Filing (Subscription to Receipt Bank(
  • Business Accounting
  • Bookeeping
  • Payroll Services

I have received a notice from the IRS. What should I do now?

Don’t worry. Hoboken Tax is here to assist. We specialize in representing clients who have issues with the IRS. We will walk you through each step of the resolution process. Call us to discuss your case.

Ready to come in for an appointment?

Our schedule is very full…but if you call us at (201) 266-0025 or email us we’ll give you two options for coming in right away! We will NOT make dealing with a tax professional as painful as it’s been in the past!